This is from quite awhile back, but it’s my first attempt at souring with lactobacillus. Basically I just made one liter of starter wort (no hops) and some malt, and then left it out in the 40+ C weather and let it sour for a week. Then I added it into the boil.
I’ll get to a full tasting later, but for the first three months, this smelled and tasted a lot like cheese and was really lacking on the sourness. After the four month point, the taste rounded out to be a lot more refreshing and citrusy, and cleared out quite nicely. Definitely worth doing again.
Recipe by BrewingInBolivia
|Original Gravity||Final Gravity||Colour (SRM / EBC)||Bitterness||Alcohol by Volume|
|Recipe Type||Batch Size||Boil Time||Efficiency|
|All Grain||3.7 Litres / 1.0 Gal||60.0 min||29.0%|
|Pilsner||Grain||1.7||53.32 %||0.78 Kg / 1.72 Lbs|
|Flaked Wheat||Adjunct||1.6||40.04 %||0.59 Kg / 1.29 Lbs|
|Flaked Oats||Adjunct||1.0||6.64 %||0.10 Kg / 0.21 Lbs|
|Cluster||7.6%||3.29 g / 0.12 oz||Boil||60 mins|
|Ñusta Yeast||75 %|
|Saccharification Rest||60.0 min||64.0 °C / 147.2 °F||Infusion|
|Brewed 20 Jan 2013, OG 1.034
Bottled 26 Jan 2013 FG 1.008, collected 3.7 L.
Recipe Generated with BrewMate