A larger brewing session fell through yesterday, so I went ahead and threw together a very quick brew that I’d been prepping for for a while now. Thus, a SMaSH beer utilizing a brettanomyces claussenii (the British fungus) culture sent to me from Jeffrey Crane of Bikes Beer and Adventures, 1.6 kg of Bolivian pilsner malt and lots Columbus hops, since it takes a small batch brewer like myself ages to go through 1 lb of 14.0% AA American hops.
Once again, I still don’t have a hydrometer, but hopefully I’ll get a refractometer next time somebody I know comes down from the US and can ferry another order for me. So, I’ll certainly have to sit on this beer for a few months to let it finish anyway. One thing not mentioned in the recipe is that I pulled off the first 2 L of sparge and boiled them down for 90 minutes before adding it to the cooled wort. Somehow I managed to collect around 7 L of wort, so this might be a bit lighter than I anticipated, but that’s fine. Perhaps I’ll transfer 5 L to a smaller secondary fermenter and bottle the difference without priming sugar and open bottles every few weeks to see if it will prime itself on residual sugars. We’ll see.